Monday, September 27, 2010

Nice Try, Disney. Oktoberfest Is Definitely The Happiest Place On Earth.

I have officially survived a weekend at Oktoberfest, a fair (the world's largest) in Munich, Germany! I took a bus at 10:30 pm from Florence, heading north for nine hours through Italy, up around the Australian Alps, and finally into Munich. Our hotel was in prime location and we wasted no time in heading to the tents. I have never seen anything like it before. All the Germans dress up in classic Bavarian clothing, which makes the feel of the festival all the more genuine. The food, the beverages, everything is unbelievably delicious. Singing and dancing is also at the heart of the fun. Who would have guess that "Take Me Home, Country Roads" and "Hey, Baby" would be big in beer tents in Germany?

Oktoberfest

We enjoyed Oktoberfest on Friday and Saturday, and ventured out into Munich on Sunday. The city  has a more American feel than other European cities I have been to, but certainly has its own flare and I loved it. In the afternoon we headed back on the bus, and after many movies and uncomfortable naps, which brought us to Florence around 2 in the morning. Yay for waking up for class! Yes, Mom and Dad, I really went.

Two weekends ago my friends and I took the train to Milan, the business and fashion center of Italy. It was interesting to get out of  touristy Florence and be back in a real, working city. We went to an AC Milan game, which was incredible. The fans wave gigantic flags and burn flares in the team colors in trash cans throughout the game.

 Milan!

Aside from traveling, life in Florence is amazing. I love every minute of it. My Italian is improving and I could not ask for better people in my program. Bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment